Buying Marijuana Seeds in United States 2022
Laws on Buying & Growing Marijuana Seeds in the United States. Growing Tips, Recommended Strains, and the Best Seed Banks That Ship to the United States For the 2022 Growing Season.
In recent years, the United States has seen its cannabis laws change rapidly. While the election outcome in November 2016 has kept federal cannabis laws from changing, individual states have taken up the push for reform, changing their laws to allow legal medical – and in many cases, recreational cannabis. A change of cannabis laws at the federal level in Canada will likely put pressure on the US to legalize as a country, but until then, all of the action is happening at the state level. Here’s all you need to know about using and possessing marijuana, as well as growing or buying cannabis seeds in the United States.
In a Nutshell — Which U.S. States Allow Americans to Buy and Grow Cannabis Seeds from Seed Banks?
As you travel throughout the United States, you’ll find that different states have different laws pertaining to recreational or medical marijuana — especially in seed form.
In some states, both recreational and medical marijuana are legal, while others only allow people to possess pot and buy cannabis seeds from seed banks for the purpose of cultivation if they have a prescription from a doctor.
While the specific laws are different in each state, let’s break down which states allow cannabis cultivators to buy and grow cannabis seeds.
You’ll be surprised by how many states allow home cultivators to buy and grow weed seeds from local or online seed banks for medical or recreational purposes!
As of 2022, Recreational and Medical Marijuana Is Legal In:
- Alaska (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Alaska)
- California (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in California)
- Colorado (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Colorado)
- Connecticut (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Connecticut)
- Maine (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Maine)
- Michigan (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Michigan)
- Massachusetts (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Massachusetts)
- Nevada (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Nevada)
- New Mexico (Recreational weed is legal starting June 2021.) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in New Mexico)
- New York (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in New York)
- Oregon (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Oregon)
- Vermont (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Vermont)
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Guam (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Guam)
- Washington (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Washington)
- The District of Columbia (or Washington D.C.) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Washington DC)
- Arizona (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Arizona)
- Illinois (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Illinois)
- Montana (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Montana)
- New Jersey (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in New Jersey)
States That Have Legalized Medical, but Not Recreational, Marijuana Are:
- Alabama (Alabama just passed medical cannabis, but the law has yet to go into effect) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Alabama)
- Arkansas (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Arkansas)
- Delaware (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Delaware)
- Florida (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Florida)
- Georgia (Georgia doesn’t have medical marijuana but does allow access to low-THC CBD products) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Georgia)
- Hawaii (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Hawaii)
- Indiana (Indiana’s medical cannabis program only includes access to low-THC products like CBD oil) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Indiana)
- Iowa (Iow’s medical cannabis program only includes access to low-THC products like CBD oil) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Iowa)
- Kentucky (Kentucky doesn’t have medical marijuana but does allow access to low-THC CBD products) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Kentucky)
- Louisiana (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Louisiana)
- Maryland (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Maryland)
- Minnesota (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Minnesota)
- Missouri (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Missouri)
- New Hampshire (recreational weed, in quantities up to ¾ oz, has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in New Hampshire)
- North Carolina (North Carolina doesn’t have medical marijuana but does allow access to low-THC CBD products) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in North Carolina)
- North Dakota (recreational weed has been decriminalized, in quantities under .5 oz, but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in North Dakota)
- Ohio (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Ohio)
- Oklahoma (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Oklahoma)
- Pennsylvania (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Pennsylvania)
- Puerto Rico (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Puerto Rico)
- Rhode Island (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Rhode Island)
- South Carolina (South Carolina doesn’t have medical marijuana but does allow access to low-THC CBD products) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in South Carolina)
- South Dakota (medical marijuana program begins July 2021) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in South Dakota)
- Tennessee (Tennessee is still extremely restrictive, the medical marijuana program only includes access to low-THC products like CBD oil) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Tennessee)
- Texas (Texas is still extremely restrictive, the medical marijuana program only includes access to low-THC products like CBD oil) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Texas)
- United States Virgin Islands (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in the United States Virgin Islands)
- Utah (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Utah)
- Virginia (recreational weed will be legal beginning July 1, 2021) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Virginia)
- West Virginia (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in West Virginia)
States That Have Complete Marijuana Prohibition Are:
- Idaho (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Idaho)
- Kansas (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Kansas)
- Mississippi (Only medical CBD oil is allowed) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Mississippi)
- Nebraska (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Nebraska)
- Wisconsin (Only medical CBD oil is allowed) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Wisconsin)
- Wyoming (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Wyoming)
However, it’s crucial to note that cannabis in all forms is illegal at the federal level.
Now that you have a clear picture of the legal framework of which states in the USA allow medical or recreational marijuana — continue reading to learn everything there is to know about buying and growing cannabis seeds in the US, such as:
- The best cannabis seeds to buy in the United States
- A curated list of grow tips
- Our recommended list of top-rated seed banks that ship to the USA
- The laws throughout the US that govern buying and growing marijuana seeds from seed banks
Are you ready to buy cannabis seeds with ease from online seed banks for the 2022 growing season? If so — scroll down and continue reading!
Girl Scout Cookies
Growing Cannabis Seeds in The United States
If you live in a cannabis-friendly state and you’re ready to test out your green thumb — it’s time to buy marijuana seeds from a seed bank and get growing!
However, there are a few obstacles that you must consider, such as:
- Which cannabis seeds are best for your specific climate?
- Which marijuana seed strains are the best overall to grow in the US?
Continue reading to find out which cannabis seed strains rank high on our list, along with professional growing tips that’ll transform your 2022 growing season into a bumper-crop year.
When to Sprout Cannabis Seeds in The United States
Once your prized cannabis seeds arrive from a seed bank — it’s time to determine when to germinate them.
Remember — the United States is big. In other words, there are many different climate zones, with each exhibiting unique obstacles to the grower.
However, here’s the general timeline of when to sprout your new weed seeds:
- March-April (warmer climate zones, such as California)
- April-May (cooler climate zones, such as Minnesota)
Ultimately, once the threat of frost passes — it’s time to plop your weed seeds in the ground and wait for them to poke out their heads. As long as you buy marijuana seeds from a reputable seed bank — you’re sure to experience a high germination rate.
Issues to Consider When Growing Marijuana Seeds in The United States
As with the previous section, each state’s climate is a major limiting factor to which marijuana seed strains you can grow.
Tips for Growing Cannabis Seeds in the USA
Now, let’s discuss a few tips for growing marijuana seeds in the United States.
Buy Cannabis Seeds from a Reputable Online or Local Seed Bank in the US
The most important tip that we can recommend is always to buy marijuana seeds from a reputable seed bank.
By buying marijuana seeds from highly-ranked seed banks, you’ll ensure:
- High germination rate
- Vigorous plants
- Sky-high yields
- Verified seed strains
Buy Cannabis Seeds for The State’s Climate
In warmer regions, such as California, intense heat waves occur in the summer, which can scorch your crop. Alternatively, colder regions, such as Maine, experience long winters and short summers.
Unless you grow your marijuana seed strains indoors, you must choose cannabis seed strains that offer adequate flowering times. The primary reason is that you don’t want to grow a long flowering strain in a region that exhibits a short summer, or vice versa.
Luckily, our recommended seed banks display flowering times on seed descriptions, so you know what to expect!
Plan Your Cannabis Garden In Advance
Last but not least is always to plan your marijuana garden.
It’s helpful to write what you need to do and then check off each part of the list as you complete them. Here’s a mock-up of a list that’ll help you ensure a heavy yielding cannabis garden:
- Determine your climate
- Choose the best cannabis seed strain for your climate
- Buy the marijuana seeds from a reputable seed bank
- Plan your garden
- Get growing!
Which Marijuana Seed Store Is the Best Option for US Residents?
Ok, now we’re getting to the fun part!
Although cannabis seeds are illegal under federal law — they are legal in most states that allow medical or recreational marijuana. However, if you live in a draconian state that doesn’t allow either — it’s easy to find a seed store that ships to any state in the USA.
As a US resident (depending on where you live), you have the choice of buying cannabis seeds from a local seed store or online seed bank. Let’s take a look at your two options and which is the best route.
Local American Seed Stores
If you wish to support a local seed store in the United States, this option may appeal to you.
Brands such as Greenwolf, Los Angeles Farmers, and many other storefront dispensaries in the US offer marijuana seeds. However, many of the cannabis seeds on offer are expensive and may not be verified.
Once again, if you absolutely want to buy marijuana seeds from a local seed shop — most recreational and medical states allow it. You may, however, be disappointed by the seed selection.
Online Seed Banks That Ship to The United States
If you’re looking for deals, immense selection, and top-shelf seed strains — look no further than buying weed seeds from online seed banks that ship to all states in the USA.
From stealth-shipping to ultra-fast shipping speeds — here are our top two seed banks that ship marijuana seeds to the United States.
– The quality of cannabis seeds that you can purchase from MSNL seed bank makes it one of the best around when buying marijuana seeds in the United States. Based in London, United Kingdom, marijuana-seeds.nl is known for reliably delivering juicy strains at low prices. MSNL accepts Bitcoin (including other cryptocurrencies), debit/credit cards, bank transfers, cash, and money orders. – A reputable breeder and seed store, discreetly ships to the United States. They deliver when they say they will do so and provide supreme-quality cannabis seeds, including shipping and germination guarantees. There are several ways to pay, from cash, credit cards, Bitcoin, or bank transfer — you name it!
Marijuana-Seeds.NL – High Quality Genetics. Shipping Worldwide.
Recommended Cannabis Seed Strains to Buy from Online Seed Banks and Grow in The United States
When you want to grow the best weed imaginable — buy these three top-shelf seed strains from a reputable seed bank for mind-blowing results.
Girl Scout Cookies
Girl Scout Cookies
When it comes to American weed — nothing is as red, white, and blue as the Girl Scout Cookies seed strain.
From ease-of-growth to dense nugs covered in frost, you’ll never get tired of this indica-dominant beauty. Furthermore, the Girl Scout Cookies seed strain offers an 8-week flowering time, making it perfect for all United States regions.
Super Silver Haze
Super Silver Haze
If you want an energetic blitz with award-winning characteristics to back it up — look no further than the Super Silver Haze seed strain.
Although Super Silver Haze grows tall — it can be tamed indoors or outdoors with a few training techniques. At 9-10-weeks, the Super Silver Haze seed strain is one of the fastest flowering sativa-dominant hybrids around.
Known for its hands-off growth, you’ll enjoy these tropically potent buds anywhere in the USA come harvest time.
The Wedding Cake seed strain is a match made in heaven.
With enough THC content that’ll make your head spin, you’ll be saying “I do” before you know what’s happening. Growers that buy Wedding Cake seeds from reputable seed banks will find a rapid flowering beauty that generates a lot of gorgeous weed for an indica-dominant variety.
In other words, the Wedding Cake seed strain is easy to grow and perfect for nearly any climate zone in the US. It simply doesn’t get better than this!
Remember, you can find these three cannabis seed strains at our recommended seed banks in feminized form.
The Smorgasbord of Medical and Recreational Cannabis Laws in The United States
Before we begin this section, here’s the TLDR version of the essential facts regarding cannabis laws in the united states:
- Cannabis (in all forms) is illegal at the federal level
- Individual states may enact laws that legalize medical or recreational cannabis laws
- Each individual state’s cannabis regulations may differ from one to the other
Laws vary from state to state in terms of how much weed you can possess, what forms of cannabis you can legally buy, who can qualify to purchase it for medical purposes, and how many plants you can grow, should you buy cannabis seeds from a seed bank in the United States.
Examples of What to Expect When Buying Cannabis Seeds from Seed Stores from State to State
For example, in Alaska, you’re allowed to possess up to an ounce of weed and buy cannabis seeds from seed banks. Meanwhile, in Oregon, while you can only carry an ounce while in public, you can have up to eight ounces stashed at home and any number of un-germinated seeds from a seed bank.
Traveling from State to State with Cannabis Seeds
Should you travel from state to state within the United States, check to determine what the individual laws are where you’ll be staying. In states with legal weed, it’s legal to drive around with cannabis seeds that you’ve purchased from a local or online seed bank as long as they’re in their original packaging.
What You Should Never Do While Traveling with Cannabis Seeds or Flowers
It is never legal to drive while under the influence of marijuana. If you do and get caught, you’re going to have a bad time.
It’s also illegal to take marijuana flowers or cannabis seeds over state lines (even into another weed-friendly state). As individual state laws are undergoing a lot of changes where cannabis is concerned, do a bit of reading on the specifics of wherever you’re planning to travel to see if there have been any updates before you go.
Cannabis Products and Cannabis Seeds Are Always Illegal at the Federal Level — for Now
However, it’s important to remember that any individual state law may change; federal cannabis policy in the U.S. remains unaffected for the time being. Under the Federal Controlled Substances Act of 1970, marijuana was classified as a Schedule I drug, placing it among harder drugs such as cocaine and heroin. With the enactment of the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp and products derived from it were no longer classified as Schedule I substances.
James M. Cole, the Deputy Attorney General under former U.S. President Barack Obama, issued a memorandum in 2013 stating that the Justice Department would not focus on enforcement in states that had “legalized marijuana in some form…” This took some of the pressure off of dispensaries (and their clientele) in states with legal cannabis. In 2018, Attorney General Jeff Sessions (who was appointed by President Donald Trump) rescinded the memo, creating an uproar in the cannabis community. Fortunately, the Trump Justice Department did not take action to enforce federal cannabis laws, allowing the cannabis industry to continue operating in states that had legalized it.
Buying & Growing Cannabis Seeds Recreationally: Differences Within the USA
Depending on where you go in the United States, you will find different laws on weed cultivation and buying cannabis seeds from seed banks in 2022. At the federal level, buying cannabis seeds is illegal. It’s also illegal to buy them if you live in a state where possessing and growing your own weed isn’t legal.
In states with legalized cannabis, just as with possessing and using weed, laws governing growing and buying cannabis seeds differ from state to state. Under D.C. law, for example, an adult (21 years and older) can cultivate up to six marijuana plants (with a maximum of twelve plants to a household) in one location for recreational purposes. Only three plants per person may be mature at one time. Also, you can transfer up to one ounce of weed as an adult to another adult, but marijuana sales are still illegal there. So gift away if you live in D.C., but don’t allow any money to change hands!
Meanwhile, in Oregon, you can only grow up to four plants from seed for recreational reasons. Also, to cultivate at home, you must pay fees, and the marijuana odor must be controlled in a manner as such that the public does not notice it. Selling cannabis without a license is forbidden there, as is the case in most states with legalized pot.
In Alaska, personal cannabis cultivation from seed is restricted to six plants, but only three of them can be flowering at one time. Transfer limits are one ounce, which is the same as in D.C. As you can see, it’s important to know before you grow!
Legal Analysis: Buying Medical Marijuana Seeds in The US from Seed Banks in 2022
For patients, knowing medical marijuana seed laws is important so that you stay compliant. Possession limits vary by state, so be sure to research laws in your current location in 2022 to understand how many cannabis seeds to buy from a local or online seed bank.
Here are a few examples:
In New Jersey, where the law governing medical cannabis was passed in 2010, patients can legally germinate up to six cannabis seeds and possess three ounces of usable weed for medicinal use in any given 30 day period.
However, go to Montana, and you can germinate four cannabis seeds and possess five ounces total in a month. The limits are different, yet again, in Delaware; the legal possession limit for medical marijuana patients is six usable ounces. The laws differ still in New Hampshire, where you can possess only two ounces of usable marijuana for medical purposes for ten days.
In other US states, you can legally possess a certain number of plants for medical use; though be aware that not all states allow for the home-growing from cannabis seeds. In New Mexico, you can legally have up to 16 plants, with up to four of them being mature at one time. Go to Vermont, though, and you will see this number cut down to six, with only two flowering at one time.
These examples show that you need to be aware of the legal limits regarding growing cannabis seeds in the state where you reside, to ensure you stay on the right side of the law. Moving between states means you must be cognizant of the local laws and recognize that laws can change quickly.
Where to buy weed seeds online in the US
To save weed growers the hassle of finding and navigating a trustworthy seed source, we played secret shopper at some of the weed internet’s most recommended cannabis seed banks, evaluating menus and pricing, verifying breeder relationships, stress-testing services, and placing orders.
Read on for our explainer on seed banks, and further below you’ll see our reviews of five trustworthy cannabis seed banks that we recommend for your next seed purchase. And proceed with confidence, knowing that Leafly has no monetized relationships with any of the reviewed retailers.
What is a seed bank?
The term “seed bank” refers to companies who preserve cannabis genetics in seed form and sell those seeds to homegrowers and commercial growers. Their seeds can be common strains as well as heritage, rare, and clone-only genetics.
In their infancy, decades ago, cannabis seed banks primarily operated in the Netherlands because of the country’s lax view of cannabis, and never in the US. Many produced the seeds they sold. Some still do.
Buyers paid cash, which was usually stuffed into birthday cards or folded inside backpage order forms and snail-mailed over the ocean. Things didn’t always pan out, but the risks were worth it to get weed strains made popular in Amsterdam’s bustling coffeeshop scene.
Today, that’s all changed. US seed sellers far outweigh old-timey European ones, are reliable, and stock an enormously influential pool of American breeders, largely eclipsing overseas efforts.
While the days of cash in envelopes are mostly behind us—supplanted by credit card and cryptocurrency transactions—buying seeds still isn’t straightforward.
Is it legal to buy weed seeds online?
Weed seeds can be considered a cannabis product just like flower, edibles, concentrates, and vape carts, and their legality depends on which state you live in. People living in some states with adult-use legalization can buy seeds within their own state, but seeds can’t cross state lines. People living in states with medical marijuana legalization may only be able to buy seeds if they have a medical card.
Some companies and growers argue that since seeds contain little, if any, THC that they can be considered “hemp” under the 2018 Farm Bill and thus exempt from federal drug laws. However, that theory has not been tested in court, and you might not be able to protect yourself with that argument. The Controlled Substances Act considers seeds as cannabis, and seeds are only considered “hemp” if they come from a hemp plant.
Cannabis seeds are often sold for “novelty” or “souvenir” purposes, but it is illegal for cannabis seeds to cross state lines or to bring them into the US from another country. US Customs or state officials will seize any cannabis seeds they find in packages or on a person.
Additionally, homegrow laws differ by locality. Check your state and local laws before purchasing or germinating seeds.
How do I know where to buy quality weed seeds?
Seed banks don’t build trust like e-commerce sites typically do. Websites often look outdated, even a little unprofessional. Reputable sites can lack standard e-commerce elements like product descriptions or photographs, or even integrated credit card processing.
On the other hand, some seed bank startups have investment capital and can present a familiar e-commerce consumer experience. Ferrying shoppers through sales funnels into modernized websites, these companies usually sell their own seed lines rather than genetics from known, established breeders.
While there’s nothing wrong with breeders who sell seeds this way, there’s no guarantee that the strains they sell bear any resemblance to their namesake genetics without independent community verification of their products, via growers or third-party seed banks. We think of this as similar to the CBD market, where convincing branding doesn’t necessarily describe an effective product.
So to know where to buy quality cannabis seeds, consumers must vet seed sellers the same way growers have since the dawn of digital communities: by trading information on cannabis cultivation forums, where growers both experienced and new can discuss what they’re currently running in their gardens, as well as where they sourced their seeds.
Read on for five of the most trustworthy sources to buy cannabis seeds in the US in 2022.
Neptune Seed Bank
Extensive selection, wide price range, average perks
- Established: 2015
- Location: Los Angeles, California
- Customer service options: email, snail mail
- Perks: Points program, occasional discounts and sales, seed freebies
- Seeds: Envy Genetics’ MelonBlow (Melonade x BlowPops Bx1), 10 regular seeds
- Total cost: $103.50 (List price: $100; discount: 10%, coupon code “thanks10,” reducing price to $90; shipping fee: Flat Rate USPS, $10; CC processing fee: $3.50)
- Freebies: Pack of GrapeBlow seeds from breeder
- Bought on: Feb 1, 2022; Shipped: Feb 2; Received: Feb 6
- Payment options: Credit/debit, MESH, Bitcoin, Ethereum, cash by mail, e-check
About Neptune Seed Bank
Self-described as the most comprehensive stockist of cannabis genetics in the United States, Neptune Seed Bank has what you want or something very similar.
It would take us days to gush over all the breeders on tap at Neptune. And while their prices aren’t always the most competitive, the insane volume of exotic strains makes them a unique resource that shouldn’t be forgotten. Especially for those times when retailers offering more aggressive discounts sell out of that cross you’re after.
Ultra-hyped Kush Mints crosses by Seed Junky Genetics go for between $250-550, sharing price points with far-reaching influencers like Jungle Boys and Gage Green Group, whose “Last Chance” seeds top Neptune’s menu at $800 per ten pack.
Also present are long-established figures Top Dawg Seeds, Cannarado Genetics, and Dungeons Vault Genetics (formerly of Granddaddy Purple Genetics), plus emerging players posed to carry forward the flame, including Wolfpack Selections, Lit Farms, and Wyeast Farms. Additional highlights encompass recent hitmakers like Thug Pug Genetics, known for Peanut Butter Breath, and Capulator, known for MAC1.
With so many options available to Neptune’s shoppers, it can be difficult to narrow the choices simply by browsing. It’s a good problem to have.
I ended up searching for Melonade crosses, a delectable combo of Lemon Tree and Watermelon Zkittlez that’s been stuck in my head since experiencing it in rosin form in 2019. I found a surprising array of options, including versions by Crane City Cannabis, Lit Farms, Midwest Best/Grandiflora, and some budget friendly options from Envy Genetics.
I went for Envy’s MelonBlow (Melonade x BlowPops BX1), which carried a sticker price of $100 and came with a free pack of GrapeBlow seeds as provided by the breeder. A 10% discount offset the shipping fee, and after processing fees, I spent $103.50 all-in.
It should be noted that Luscious Genetics, a competing seed seller reviewed below, had the very same pack of seeds and additional, site-specific freebies for $65. Discounts are common, so it’s a good idea to poke around for the best price before locking in a purchase.
Customer service experience
During checkout, I was prompted to upload a photo of my ID if I wanted to use a credit card. The next day, because my current address is different from the one on my ID, I was also asked to email a photo of my physical credit card.
While Neptune says this baby gate for fraudsters is intended to “protect our customers and the business,” the security measure creates an unintentional honeypot—a cache of sensitive data that is, simply by virtue of its existence, vulnerable to nefarious digital actors or even disgruntled employees.
The good news is, Neptune doesn’t check IDs for Bitcoin/crypto or MESH transactions, so if you’re willing to take a few extra minutes to transfer funds around and pay additional fees, you can forgo the ID.
From a customer service perspective, the exchange to confirm my identity was painless and only added a day to the shipping turnaround. And I was impressed with Neptune’s speedy customer service response times. Shoppers can expect an actual human with little, if any, delays, which can go a long way to building trust and converting one-timers to loyalists.
Trusted breeders, great closeout deals
- Established: 2018
- Location: Eugene, Oregon
- Customer service options: email, Instagram
- Perks: VIP services via Patreon membership
- Seeds: Lucky Dog Genetics’ Sweet Chem (Zkittlez x Chemdog D f4), 13 regular seeds
- Total cost: $105.58 (List price: $160; discount: $70 discount for a $90 sticker price; shipping fee: First Class USPS, $10; CC processing fee: $5.58 via MESH)
- Freebies: none
- Bought on: Jan 31, 2022; Shipped: Feb 4; Received: Feb 5
- Payment options: MESH (credit card access with fees), Bitcoin (exchange fees may apply), cash by mail
About Speakeasy Seedbank
Speakeasy seed bank feels like a refreshing reset from the trend-chaser set. They offer a strong selection of heritage breeders like Mean Gean From Mendocino’s Freeborn Selections, Professor P’s Relic Seeds, and SkunkVA’s Lucky Dog Seed Co.—prioritizing the preservation and improvement of modern weed’s building block strains.
Speakeasy feels like a counterpoint to the current high demand for new and exotic mashups of hyped flavors—and, unstabilized seed lines. While there’s nothing wrong with backing up a clone library or exploring the potential of a promising male, it’s not the same as a breeding program that targets specific desirable traits.
This isn’t to say that Speakeasy’s menu shuns contemporary trends or excludes the undisputable hybrid vigor of F1 genetics—more that it places faith in proven breeders to filter worthwhile flavors from one-hit wonders.
Surfing Speakeasy’s menu, there was a lot to consider and add to my want list. Enticed by so many promising strains—namely, Bodhi Seeds’ newer 88G13HP releases, Crickets & Cicada’s Black Domina crosses, and Relic’s G13 Haze selections—I let Speakeasy’s Closeout Deals narrow my search.
I was impressed to see markdowns on both sought-after breeders and desirable strains, never getting the sense that Speakeasy is merely off-loading slow-moving stock. Select examples by Relic Seeds were available at a deep discount, as were numerous other packs that most growers would be happy to add to their vault.
I pulled the trigger on Lucky Dog’s Sweet Chem: $160 retail, marked down to $90. On other sites, $160 was the standing price, so I have no regrets.
Between meaningful curation that exhibits a strong understanding of modern weed’s origins as well as some unique deals, Speakeasy won a place on this list.
Oregon Elite Seeds
Expertly curated selection, reliably fast shipping, frequent discounts
- Established: 2015
- Location: Eugene, Oregon
- Customer service options: phone, email, text
- Perks: Points program, frequent site-wide discounts and sales, seed freebies, subscription-based perks for regulars
- Seeds: ONI Seed Co.’s Hattrick (TKT x CPT) x Tropicana Cookies, 12 regular seeds
- Total cost: $110.78 (List price: $150; discount: -35%; shipping fee: $8, First Class USPS; CC processing fee: $5.28)
- Freebies: sticker, keychain, lanyard
- Bought on: Jan 31, 2022; Shipped: Feb 1; Received: Feb 3
- Payment options: On-site credit card processing (for a 5% fee), cash by mail, and local pickup
About Oregon Elite Seeds
Oregon Elite Seeds offers a wide seed selection spanning heritage, new school, and hype breeders, plus frequent site-wide discounts and regular sales.
For example, OES had a 35%-off sale when I shopped, applying to breeders like Oni Seed Co., Bloom Seed Co., and Obsol33t Genetics, plus dozens more.
OES’ selection is large, and there isn’t much missing. Breeders that aren’t represented are usually too expensive for most people, or their seed lines have proven to be unremarkable. This is extremely useful curation, narrowing choices expertly and serving as a barometer for upcoming trends.
Shipping times were exceptionally quick in my experience—but I live less than a 2-hour drive from OES’s headquarters in Eugene, Oregon, and customer experiences will vary.
I’ve shopped OES at least a half dozen times in as many years and have always been pleased with the experience, and their frequent sales are some of the most attractive in the business.
This time around, I found myself drawn toward a fresh-faced breeder, Wolfpack Selections—enticed by a buy one/get one offer and a series of hyped flavors crossed with Cheetah Piss.
Unfortunately, when it came time to cash in the 35% discount, the shopping cart choked and wouldn’t apply the coupon to the Wolfpack gear. When I contacted customer service about the issue, they couldn’t be reached over email or phone.
Eventually, I discovered that the coupon code could be applied to Oni Seed Co.’s Hattrick—a strain I’ve eyed for some time. Later, OES updated the sale language to exclude new drops, but not before I’d played a semi-frustrating guessing game to find applicable merchandise.
That said, once I did place an order, it was in my hands within days.
Customer service experience
Email response times vary and customer support can, at times, feel understaffed. I sent OES an email asking for clarification about the aforementioned 35% discount and received a form response more than 24 hours later.
A message directed me to a terms page and recommended calling for a faster response. I called twice during stated business hours and got a machine both times.
Eventually, I bought a second-choice item that worked with the 35% discount code, but I was hesitant to forgo breeder-specific freebies until the sale’s terms were updated on their site. Things would’ve gone smoother had customer support made itself available by either email or phone, or if limitations on the sale were spelled out from the beginning.
Best-in-class sales, generous freebies, and unique make-an-offer pricing
- Established: 2018
- Location: Missouri
- Customer service options: email, phone
- Perks: Loyalty points, sitewide freebies, small promotional gifts, like koozies
- Seeds: Surfr Seeds’ Surround Sound (Jet Fuel Gelato x Redneck Wedding), 15 regular seeds
- Total cost: $90.40 (List price: $100; discount: -15% for $85 before the cart; shipping Fee: First Class USPS, $5.40; free First-Class USPS on orders over $150; CC processing fee: None via WAAVE)
- Freebies: Surfr Seeds’ (Citrus Farmer x Cherry Pie), 15 regular seeds; Cars N Coal Seed Co.’s Dancer x SS Afghan 1, 4 regular seeds
- Bought on: Jan 31, 2022; Shipped: Feb 1; Received: Feb 5
- Payment options: WAAVE Credit Card Processing, Cash App, Venmo, Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, cash/money order
About Luscious Genetics
Luscious Genetics is an online retailer that curates a solid and often-discounted collection of respected breeders.
While the selection can feel slightly limited in scope next to some of the bigger banks, breeders trend toward new school but proven members of the community, like Envy Genetics, Thug Pug Genetics, and the venerable yet under-the-radar Surfr Seeds.
Additionally, Luscious runs a proprietary breeding program under the name TrichomeBros. This ensures that fresh, exciting freebies are always included with every purchase, even when partnering breeders opt out of participating in site-wide incentive programs.
With easy site navigation, no-fee credit card services, best-in-class deals, and remarkably competitive freebies, Luscious was a pleasure to shop.
Despite a number of enticing menu items, Surfr Seeds won my Luscious bucks with their cross of Jet Fuel Gelato x Redneck Wedding, dubbed Surround Sound.
The reasons were:
- Surfr created my fav strain of the 2020/2021 season, Grandpa’s Gun Chest, sharing Surround Sound’s Redneck Wedding parentage
- Luscious’ automatic 15% markdown, slashing the per-pack price from $100 to $85
- The promise of a second, full mystery pack of Surfr freebies with purchase of the first, which turned out to be a Citrus Farmer x Cherry Pie cross
- An additional site-wide sampler pack of freebies by Cars N Coal Seed Co.
That comes to more than 30 seeds for the price of 15. Very nice!
Meanwhile, Luscious continues to make a customer-first impression with a feature I haven’t seen elsewhere: the ability to “Make An Offer” on all listed products, similar to eBay.
Considering how often seeds are discounted and the frequency at which retailers offer sales, a Make An Offer option would be a welcomed industry-wide trend. It would be a huge improvement compared to the norm, that is, waiting for a sale only to find that a select item is sold out.
Seeds Here Now
Connoisseur quality, extensive selection, and community dedication
- Established: 2014
- Location: Medford, Oregon
- Customer service options: email, phone
- Perks: Reward points, giveaways, seed freebies
- Seeds: Heroes of the Farm’s Jazz x Space Queen, 13 regular seeds
- Total cost: $98.76 (List price: $88; discount: -10% sitewide via code Spin10, but code did not work; shipping fee: First Class USPS, $9.98; CC processing fee: none)
- Freebies: none
- Bought on: Jan 31, 2022; Received: Jan 7
- Payment options: Credit/debit card payments, cash, check, money order, bitcoin (BTC), litecoin (LTE), bitcoin cash (BCH), and dogecoin (DOGE)
About Seeds Here Now
Seeds Here Now isn’t always the cheapest option, but their selection vies for the most comprehensive, and they’ve proven themselves reliable for many years. While some seed banks gravitate toward hype stock and others toward heritage and heirloom, Seeds Here Now has a bit of both.
The common thread throughout SHN’s menu is connoisseur quality. With a strong eye for promising genetics, the seed bank is also an asset to the community—giving back through an emergency fund designed to help breeders and growers in need.
At the time of writing, they were selling and auctioning seeds from numerous luminary breeders to raise money for Virginia-based breeder Duke Diamond, purveyor of Dominion Seed Company, who was recently released from prison and is getting back on his feet.
We were impressed with both the quantity and quality of exclusive seeds unavailable elsewhere.
One such rarity from the Duke Diamond benefit collection was a release by Heroes of the Farm that combines two terpinolene-dominant, Haze-leaning strains: Jazz and Space Queen. The opportunity to grow some heritage, previously unreleased Pacific Northwest flavors while also supporting a breeder from my home state of Virginia was an easy choice to make.
SHN offers sitewide freebies under a tiered structure for purchases of $150 or more. My purchase was less than that so I didn’t get any bonus seeds, just some stickers.
Navigating the site was as easy as it gets, as is the payment process. Yet when it came time to checkout, a 10%-off discount code offered to customers who opt into SHN’s mailing list didn’t work. I suspect this glitch has to do with fine print regarding the purchase of fundraiser-specific stock, but I’m more than happy to pay full price considering the proceeds go to Duke Diamond’s fund. But it would’ve been nice to know ahead of checkout that the coupon code couldn’t be applied to the item in my cart.
That said, this small issue—especially compared to buggier sites—won’t deter me from shopping with SHN again if they have something I can’t find elsewhere for cheaper.
It’s never been easier to grow your own marijuana plant and all you need is a list of the best seed banks to get started.
You can buy weed seeds online and do so safely, easily, and for a bargain price. Half the battle though is compiling a list of the best-reviewed cannabis seed banks and then choosing which one seems right for your project.
In this discussion, we’re going to list 13 of the best seed bank options, along with the pros and cons of each company.
13 Best Seed Banks That Ship to the USA (and beyond)
1. I Love Growing Marijuana – Best Seed Bank Overall
- Location: California, USA
- Ships to: Only the USA (until further notice)
- Shipping time to the USA: 2 days shipping, 2-10 days arrival
- Free shipping to the US (regular seeds)
- Guaranteed delivery and germination
- Lots of free guides on growing
- Average price per seed a little steep
I Love Growing Marijuana immediately puts you at ease, offering a wealth of knowledge about growing cannabis for newcomers and veterans alike.
In addition to growing guides, forums, and journals, they have deals like Buy 10 Seeds, Get 10 Seeds Free, free shipping, guaranteed delivery, guaranteed germination, and multiple coupons.
Overall, ILGM offered the best deals and the best guiding hand to get started, and for first-timers (a large portion of those looking for cannabis strains by name) links to educational resources for the weed-growing are important.
2. Crop King Seeds – Best Marijuana Seeds Genetics
- Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Ships to: Any country worldwide
- Shipping time to the USA: 2-7 business days anywhere in North America
- Toll-free telephone support, 24/7
- Established 2005
- Accepts Bitcoin and traditional payment methods
- Guaranteed delivery and germination
- Higher-than-average price
- Coupons could be better
Crop King Seeds is well connected, with over 100 retail partners and a wide range of seeds, with better quality genetics and breeding selection.
They are a trusted brand with 200 stores in Canada as well as an online store that ships worldwide. Their value packs, like Mix Pack Feminized and Autoflower Feminized are ideal for new growers.
The company has a reputation for selling the highest quality male and female seeds, and for making innovative discoveries in breeding seeds organically.
They also accept Bitcoin for stealthy payments.
3. Seedsman – Best Variety of Cannabis Seeds
- Location: Barcelona, Spain
- Ships to: U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, Europe, New Zealand
- Shipping time to the USA: Within 3 days of receiving tracking number
- Established 2003
- 1500 types of seed strains
- Works with 63 different seed banks
- Many free seed promotions throughout the year
- Refund requires a somewhat complicated process
Seedsman offers plenty of discounts, averaging about 25 percent off of orders and approximately 40 promotions a year.
In addition to maintaining good word-of-mouth and social media reviews, the company also has a loyalty program for returning customers. Bitcoin buyers save money too, which is cool.
Still, with over 1,500 cannabis seed strains, variety is the company’s strong suit.
The company does hassle you for a refund, but it’s understandable that they have to protect against unscrupulous “samplers” with no intent to pay for quality marijuana seeds.
4. Herbie’s Seeds – Top Seed Bank That Ships To Any Country
- Location: San Vicente, Alicante, Spain
- Ships to: Any country worldwide
- Shipping time to the USA: 24 hours shipping, 3 weeks delivery
- Regular recommendations for new customers
- Deals as high as 35% off for selected strains
- Free seed with every order
- Online support team answers questions
- Very new company
- Free shipping deals don’t apply to U.S. buyers
Herbie’s Seeds offers good deals on selected strains, multiple forms of payment (including Bitcoin and wire transfer), and best of all, offers free Gorilla Glue Auto seeds with every purchase.
The shipping time to the US could definitely be better, but if you’re looking to support a new Spanish cannabis seed bank that’s making a name for itself in the scene, you should definitely give Herbie’s Seeds a try.
5. MJSeeds – Best Weed Seeds Stealth Shipping
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Ships to: Worldwide
Shipping time to the USA: Ships in 24 hours, 7-24 days for delivery
- Guaranteed germination rate (if you follow instructions)
- Customer telephone support
- Established 2009
- Accepts multiple payment options, even cash & money order
- Shipping is somewhat pricey
- Average discounts
MJ Seeds Canada is one of the most reliable companies and best stealth shipping options, because of discreet packaging and multiple payment options.
You could send Bitcoin, Paypal funds, or even a money order through the mail and get your seed within a couple of weeks. Shipping is same-day and faster-than-average, with a dedicated customer support line.
The company has a rotating stealth system, using different “disguises” for seeds, ensuring that your packs are rarely ever confiscated. How exciting!
6. Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds – Best Online Seed Banks Reputation
- Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Ships to: U.S., Canada, U.K., Most of Europe, Australia
- Shipping time to the USA: Estimated within 31 business days
- Free US stealth shipping
- Established 1996
- Free seeds with every order
- Multiple forms of payment, including cryptocurrency & wire transfer
- Longer than average wait time
Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds is one of the oldest companies and one of the first seed banks to gain popularity online. AMS is also one of the most generous companies, giving away free seeds with every order, or 3-10 extra seeds depending on how much you spend.
The company has also started shipping to Australia again, after a brief hiatus.
Try Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds for the free gifts and keep coming back for its reputable seed bank brand, and from the city that started the whole craze. As a wise stoner in a pulpy black suit once said, “You’ll dig it the most.”
7. Rocket Seeds – Fastest Delivery for Cannabis Seed Banks
- Location: The Bronx, NY, USA
- Ships to: Worldwide
- Shipping time to the USA: 5-7 business days
- Guaranteed delivery with Registered Tracking
- Germination guarantee
- Works with other seed banks to find rare items
- The fastest shipping
- Not a strong brand or unique savings
Rocket Seeds is a great place to find hard-to-find seeds, since the company works with multiple sources all over the world, including other seed banks. In fact, they often crossover with competitors like Crop King Seeds, Mary Jane’s Garden, and Sunwest Genetics.
The handshake agreement also means their prices are comparable to those companies and they won’t offer much in the way of unique discounts. Still, if you want a company based in the United States, and one that’s attentive to your unique requests, you can’t do better or do it faster.
They call it Rocket Seeds for a reason – they have fast US shipping.
8. Beaver Seeds – Best Seeds Bank Customer Support
- Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Ships to: Worldwide
- Shipping time to the USA: 7-25 days
- Free shipping
- Founded 2009
- Guaranteed delivery
- Accepts multiple forms of payment (inc. Bitcoin & cash)
- Not too many discounts
Beaver Seeds is a flexible seed bank all around, from their methods of payments, to free shipping, and guaranteed delivery, with paid tracking. The germination rate is guaranteed and all shipping is discreet.
Shipping time is 7-25 days which means it could be there quickly – as the company implies their delivery time is better than average, or there could be instances where the package is late.
Overall, what we liked about Beaver Seeds was the customer service telephone line, which is operated 24-7 and is even linked to a US location. When you’re nervously waiting for cannabis seeds to be shipped in the mail, having customer support to speak to is really helpful.
9. Quebec Cannabis Seeds – Most Popular Cannabis Seeds Packs
- Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Ships to: Worldwide
- Shipping time to the USA: Up to 2 weeks
- Guaranteed germination, 80% success rate
- Founded 2013
- Partners with Canada Grow Supplies for growing supplies
- Very potent THC and CBD strains
- No physical address provided
Quebec Cannabis Seeds stands by the quality of its seeds with a germination guarantee and assurance of expert packaging – the likes of which keeps the seeds fresh while hiding them in a DVD or card, for example.
Shipping time to the U.S. was also better than average, being about 14 days.
The company sold a number of bulk & mix packages and packs of 100, which are shipped discreetly and spread across a few packages. The most interesting aspect is the company’s Limited Edition line, which lets you buy rare marijuana seeds while they stay in supply.
Quebec Cannabis Seeds was founded in 2013, but still claims to have 15 years of experience in marijuana seed retail.
10. Marijuana Seeds NL – Best Free Seeds Deal
- Location: London, U.K. (surprisingly)
- Ships to: Worldwide
- Shipping time to the USA: 6-25 working days
- Started in 1999, the first online seed bank!
- Loyalty program that gives credits back for purchases
- Lower price than average
- Good deals on shipping
- Stealth shipping costs extra
While Marijuana Seeds NL isn’t the oldest seed bank brand, it is arguably the first successful marijuana seed bank, and with a name that is still trusted today.
Though the site is registered in The Netherlands, the company is actually based in the U.K. Customers can expect a rewards program, multiple payment options (with discounts for Bitcoin and wire transfers), and free seeds.
Buyers get 2 free feminized seeds with every order, 2 free auto-flowering seeds for orders over $75, and 4 feminized / 3 auto flower seeds for free when spending over $140.
You can also get free basic stealth shipping or discounted guaranteed delivery free shipping when ordering packs of seeds. Suffice it to say that you’ll have plenty of cannabis seeds to go around.
11. MaryJanesGarden – Easy Way to Order Cannabis Seeds Online
- Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Ships to: Worldwide
- Shipping time to the USA: Same day shipping, 1-3 weeks delivery
- Guaranteed delivery with tracking
- Established 2003
- Only the best seeds are sent
- Multiple payment options including Bitcoin and Paypal
- No wire transfers
Mary Jane’s Garden may seem new but they’ve been selling seeds online since 2003, with a higher than average 90% successful delivery rate.
The company also boasts about their highest quality seeds, using the best production process, and the strictest quality control procedures on the market.
The company also has one of the fastest delivery dates for U.S. residents, within 3 weeks, but oftentimes within 1 week because of the close proximity.
The company even has an added customer support line, so you can always chat with a team member if something happens to go wrong.
12. Sonoma Seeds – Most Promising New Seeds Bank
- Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Ships to: Worldwide
- Shipping time to the USA: 7-14 days
- Guaranteed germination
- Telephone support line
- 500+ strains, a high variety
- Multiple payment options inc. Bitcoin & cash
- Pricey shipping
- Average seeds price
- New company, founded 2019
Sonoma Seeds is admirable, simply because they ship anywhere, even though they can’t support every payment method. Still, Bitcoin is accepted and even cash through the mail, which means after payment is received, you get your seeds within 2 weeks.
That’s about as discreet as you can get.
Shipping is quick because of the proximity to the US and many different strains have been collected from all over the world. But Sonoma Seeds’ fast shipping to the U.S. is what impressed us the most… a promising company to watch.
FAQs About Buying Cannabis Seeds
If you’re curious about the logistics of buying cannabis seeds online, we have answers!
Are there any weed banks in the United States?
While many companies do seem to be a Canadian seed bank store, I Love Growing Marijuana and Rocket Seeds are both based in the United States and have a reputation for high-quality seeds.
As a result, their shipping to the US tends to be pretty fast (1-2 weeks or less).
Is it legal to buy cannabis seeds in any state?
Being in possession of cannabis seeds is not illegal, since they could be bought for collectible or research purposes. However, there are some complicated federal and state laws that might result in seed confiscation, or very rarely, some legal trouble.
Cannabis remains illegal at the federal level but legal in a number of U.S. states. No wonder all seed banks use stealth shipping to avoid legal hassles and confiscation.
What’s the safest way to pay for weed seeds?
Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are the safest way to pay, since there would be no official record of you buying it, besides records maintained by the cryptocurrency wallet provider.
However, paying by cash or money order is also safe, generally speaking.
Are online seed banks legit?
Practically all the seed banks we reviewed are legitimate, have great to good customer reviews, and have been established for a few years – or in some cases, over 20 years.
Some online seed banks might not be legitimate, but the ones in this article are.
Do all reputable seed banks offer international shipping?
No, some seed banks have temporarily halted international shipping because of COVID, while others choose to only ship to the U.K., Europe, U.S. Australia, and New Zealand in order to avoid legal problems with countries with stricter cannabis laws.
Always check that your cannabis seed bank ships to your country before you buy weed seeds online.
Do all marijuana seed banks have multiple payment methods?
No, most companies stick to credit cards, Paypal, bank wire transfers, and other electronic funds transfer methods. Cryptocurrency usage is rising, however, as well as cash and money orders which are harder to trace.
Discretion is key when ordering marijuana seeds.
Is it safe to order seeds?
Generally yes, it is safe to order seeds online from reputable seed banks.
Stealth shipping involves sending seeds inside various “fake items”, like DVDs or Birthday Cards you didn’t order. Some companies constantly rotate their choice of gifts, in order not to alert delivery persons. The online seed bank also lists an alias name when charging your card or cryptocurrency account.
Sometimes seeds are confiscated, but that’s why most companies offer a delivery guarantee, with a paid tracking charge. Larger packs may also be separated into multiple packages arriving, since a large pack of pot seeds would be difficult to hide in one small gift item.
Remember you can also check online reviews of the best cannabis seed bank brands and which companies excelled at safety, shipping time, guaranteed products, and best of all, the quality of the seeds themselves.
Where to Buy Marijuana Seeds Online: The Takeaway
Our research found that I Love Growing Marijuana and Crop King Seeds were the best of the best weed seed bank stores, because of their germination and delivery guarantees, not to mention a wide variety of available strains.
ILGM also offered some cost-saving deals and gave away tons of help guides to help newcomers break into DIY marijuana plant growing.
Crop King Seeds and Seedsman both had an impressive number of strains and hard-to-find names for the experienced marijuana seeds connoisseur, with Seedsman boasting 1500+ marijuana strains.
The best weed seed sites should stand by their production processes. Anyone might be able to grow marijuana nowadays, thanks to autoflowers and feminized seeds, but not everyone can do it right.
We hope you find the perfect seed bank for your needs!
The news and editorial staffs of The Denver Post had no role in this post’s preparation.